ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: ant/javac prepends destdir to classpath
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:26:25 GMT
> From: Klas Eriksson [mailto:klas.eriksson@micronic.se]
>
> Thanks for your suggested work-arounds.
>
> Today we check for strange pkg dependencies in a separate 'runTests'
> target that uses a solution similar to your
> different-classes-directories.
> My goal was to remove this unnessesary step since I noticed that,
> with the correct cmd-line args, javac is able to only compile reusable
> code.
> Unfortunately I discovered that ant removes this powerful feature
> by extending the class-path in an uncontrollable way.
> I wounder if there is a reason for this behaviour?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can have incremental builds
without it (for Ant), and surely the technique you use on the command
line always recompiles, no? <javac> was designed to do timestamp checks
to recompile only the classes that were edited.

If you find a solution that enforces the dependencies without the need
for multiple output classes dir, that doesn't break the timestamp
checking of Ant, then I'd be VERY interested ;-) Let me know, --DD