ant-user mailing list archives

From "Alan Brown" <abr...@symyx.com>
Subject CruiseControl, Ant Hill, Build Monkey...
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:07:45 GMT

I've looked into these tools a bit (since being pointed toward them).
One feature that I would need that isn't obviously apparent is modular
builds with dependencies.

So...

If the only check in is in the tests directory, then all I need to do is
rerun the tests.

If a change is made to the client then I need to rebuild the client and
rerun the tests.  Likewise with the server.

If a change is made in the schema I need to drop and recreate the db and
run all tests.

This seems like that kind of thing that would certainly be supported by
'build' tools but the products certainly aren't fighting among
themselves to see who can say so the loudest.

My other requirement is that it be free!

Any opinions on which tool is the way to go.  At the moment I'm still
leaning toward building it myself with subant tasks that run a
cvstagdiff and write to a central properties file if a diff is found.
The build process can then read that properties file and build and test
appropriately.

But if people strongly support Ant Hill, CruiseControl or Build Monkey
I'd like to be swayed.

alan