ant-user mailing list archives

From sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmol...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Target or macrodef?
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:48:47 GMT

> > hi,
> > this would be great !
> >
> > recently, i had exactly that problem (setting a "temp" property in a
> > <macrodef/>) ... i had to use <antcall/> as work-around :(
> >

> Well, <antcall> is just totally unnecessary.  Just use the value of
> the macrodef
> attributes as a property.  Obviously it becomes a property that will
> live
> throughout the app, but it is usually so unique that that you'd never
> define or
> generate another property by the same name.  If the value won't be
> unique, you
> can chain multiple macrodef attribute values together to make a truly
> unique
> property.  For more information, see...
>
> http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#propertyvalue-as-name-for-property

i disagree - i guess there are of course reasons for using <antcall/>
and i guess my example above is one of them.

while ur "solution"  or better called "work-around" may work too i would
not use it cause THIS is an ugly hack - thats the way unmaintainable
code is produced! what u r talking about is "generating" property names
and this does definitively makes the code harder to read ... at least
IMHO ... what does a generated property name tell about its use or the
coders intention ?  nothing!
i guess the best and obious solution would be to allow some kind of
variable scoping in ant.

thx
regards,
seb