ant-user mailing list archives

From sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmol...@web.de>
Subject Re: Target or macrodef?
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:44:58 GMT
hi,
this would be great !

recently, i had exactly that problem (setting a "temp" property in a
<macrodef/>) ... i had to use <antcall/> as work-around :(

regards,
seb

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:08:06 -0400
"Inger, Matthew" <Inger@Synygy.com> wrote:

> Perhaps that could be a future requirement, to allow for the user
> to choose which behavior he/she wants.
>
> It would be nice if project had a notion of a stackable variable
> scope:
>
> public class VariableScope {
>   // add fields and accessors for properties, refs, taskdefs, etc...
> }
>
> public class StackedVariableScope {
>     private VariableScope current;
>     private Stack stack;
>
>     public void push(boolean inheritAll, boolean inheritRefs) {
>         stack.push(current);
>         VariableScope scope = new VariableScope();
>         if (inheritAll) {
>            // copy from current to scope
>         }
>         if (inheritRefs) {
>            // copy from current to scope
>         }
>
>         current = scope;
>     }
>
>     public void pop() {
>         current = (VariableScope)stack.pop();
>     }
> }
>
> Not only would this allow macros to make the decision
> i mentioned above (by being able to push before macro exec,
> and pop afterwards), but would also probably simplify, and
> speed up the execution of <antcall>, as it wouldn't need to
> create a completely new copy of the project.
>
> Perhaps a refactoring for Ant 1.7?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away."
--- Antoine de St. Exupery, Wind, Sand, and Stars, 1939