ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: junitreport
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:48:52 GMT
> Adding the jars to
> %JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/endorsed in itself did not work.

<snip>

> I'm sure this is something that will
> work much more smoothly when we upgrade to JDK 1.4.

Ummmmm..... jre/lib/endorsed, or the endorsed standards override mechanism, is
only applicable to JDK1.4+.  For JDK's less than 1.4, there is no such thing.
And keep in mind that the *only* reason to ever use the mechanism is to override
something that comes with the JDK.  In JDK1.4+, Xalan is distributed with the
JDk.  As such, if you want to use a more up-to-date (less buggy) version, you
need put xalan.jar in jre/lib/endorsed.  And keep in mind that since Xerces is
not distributed with JDK1.4+ (but will be in 1.5+, so watch out!) it is not
necesary to put it in jre/lib/endorsed, but a lot of people do it anyway.  The
same is not true for xml-apis.jar which includes updated versions of the
standard XML and DOM apis which are included in the JDK.  If you want to use
those, you need to put it in jre/lib/endorsed.

Anyway, you get the picture.  For your purposes when using JDK1.3.xx with
Eclipse, you may need to put Xerces/Xalan/xml-apis earlier on the classpth than
the versions that Eclipse includes in the classpath.

Jake