ant-user mailing list archives

From "mail.laconiadatasystems.com" <webmas...@laconiadatasystems.com>
Subject Re: using ant to tag a cvs repository
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:01:09 GMT
Mark-

A branch is a physical separation of your source from a known point known as
the trunk so that anything that you checkin or checkout within the fileset
identified as branch will not physically touch any of the files in the
trunk..branches are merged into the trunk

A tag is To create a snapshot of the current sources for later use, use the
CVS tag command. The tag command generates a symbolic tag that is bound to
each of the current revisions in your local copy of the module
A tag is used to give you a snapshot of n items in your sourcetree at a
given point in time

Hope this helps,
Martin
NB:
Here are the references I have used
http://www.fisica.uniud.it/~glast/sw/cvs/cvsintro.html
http://www.cvshome.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Lybarger" <Mark.Lybarger@CBC-Companies.com>
To: "Ant Users List (E-mail)" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 7:29 AM
Subject: using ant to tag a cvs repository

we're using ant tasks to do our qa/production builds. it pulls a branch/tag
from cvs and does what it needs to build the artifact.  currently, we're not
"tagging" that build so that we can re-pull that exact copy out of cvs. i'm
not explictly familiar with cvs, so, two questions.  is tagging what i want
to use, or a branch? i don't really want to branch each time we do a qa
build.  does anyone have an example of a ant cvs task that does what i'm
after? here's what we currently use to do the build:

<cvs
cvsRoot=":pserver:${cvs.login.username}:${cvs.login.password}@${cvs.server.i
p}:${cvs.server.path}"
package="${cvs.module}" tag="${tag}" dest="${cvs.module.dest}" />

much thanks!
~mark