ant-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Mark Bram" <relaxed...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Ant: pros and cons!
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:26:17 GMT
Hi All,

I am writing an intro for ANT and I want to justify why it is such a
useful tool.

Some may find the statements below provocative: they are meant to be. I
want to find out if and/or why they are untrue. This is a learning process
for me too!

Pro:
  - Ant is a Java based build tool. Like java, it is platform independent.
  - It has a large variety of common tasks already catered for.
  - It is extensible: not that hard to create your own tasks.

Cons:
  - It is not as powerful as batch/shell scripts. If you are not regularly
using different OS's, why bother?
  - It is not designed to offer decision or looping structures as easily as
they are offered in batch/shell scripts? Why?

Do you have any pros/cons to add? Any thoughts on what I have listed?
Any comments would be most appreciated!

Rob
:)