ant-user mailing list archives

From roger day <rog3r....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: pros and cons!
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:26:24 GMT
Interestingly, I maintain a piece of software which is called the
Warehouse. It's core is a set of XML which controls an "artifact
repository" for distributions of software. The warehouse uses
different files for these purposes - a build.xml, which drives
whatever build tools are installed (*not* Ant currently) and
partlist.xml to define what you say below. We also use product.xml
files which allow us to define a product with it's components -
something, I think, which Ant is missing.

The original design was built from build files upwards, but this
approach has been unsatisfactory.

We (in the team that I work for) are going through a refactoring
exercise where a distribution, or single deliverable is defined by a
single XML manifest, and this is used to drive the deliveable
configuration, the build, the distribution and the installation.

If you do go down this route - and I'm not sure if the Ant team want
to build XML which defines the configuration for a product - then Ant
could, IMO, potentially, become a larger project, but this would look
like feature creep unless Ant is given a serious overhaul.

BTW, we're also considering using Ant as a minimalist installer as well...

Roger