ant-user mailing list archives

From "Inger, Matthew" <In...@Synygy.com>
Subject RE: pros and cons!
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:29:02 GMT
On your cons:

1.  I disagree that it's not as powerful as batch/shell scripts.
    In fact, given that you can run any os command, I think it's more
    powerful.  And there are some external tasks allowing you to run scripts
    in an arbitrary command interperator

2.  The reasoning i usually get when asking this question is that loops,
conditionals
    can complicate the script, and are against the philosophy of what ANT is
supposed
    to be.  It's not "supposed" to be a scripting language.  That being
said, there are
    3rd party tasks that can deal with conditionals in a more programatic
way
    (such as <if>), and perform looping (<foreach>).

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Mark Bram [mailto:relaxedrob@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 9:26 AM
To: Ant
Subject: Ant: pros and cons!

Hi All,

I am writing an intro for ANT and I want to justify why it is such a
useful tool.

Some may find the statements below provocative: they are meant to be. I
want to find out if and/or why they are untrue. This is a learning process
for me too!

Pro:
  - Ant is a Java based build tool. Like java, it is platform independent.
  - It has a large variety of common tasks already catered for.
  - It is extensible: not that hard to create your own tasks.

Cons:
  - It is not as powerful as batch/shell scripts. If you are not regularly
using different OS's, why bother?
  - It is not designed to offer decision or looping structures as easily as

they are offered in batch/shell scripts? Why?

Do you have any pros/cons to add? Any thoughts on what I have listed?
Any comments would be most appreciated!

Rob
:)