ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: mask password <input> task
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:34:00 GMT
> From: Khehra, Sukh [mailto:Sukh.Khehra@wsj.com]
>
> I want the password to not echo back on the screen when typed.
>
> I searched the mailing list and found some postings from last year that
> basically said that due to a limitation of the java system.in class, this
> cannot be done.
>
> I was wondering if that has changed since then. Has anyone come up with a
> solution to this? Using GUI, scp, rcp is not an option for me.

I don't think anything changed. The only way to mask the password would be
to implement your own input method using a native library (and JNI). Hey,
somebody already has ;-) It's called Java readline, and it's at
http://java-readline.sourceforge.net/ . I'm not sure it would allow masking
the password, but it might. Check it out. --DD

PS: I ran across Java readline thru http://rhinohide.cx/antsh/links.html