ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject AW: Newbie Questions
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:15:00 GMT
> Ant is described as a Java-based build tool that
> replaces make.

Replacing only in the java world.

> 1.  Does that mean it is a general build tool, and
> limited to building Java projects?

Its designed for building java projects, but you can do more with it.

> 2.  In particular, is Ant good for building C++
> projects?  Can it, eg, automatically find dependencies
> by scanning source files for #include directives?

There are extensions to Ant (AntContrib cpptasks) to work with C++ projects.
And you can invoke platform tools.
But I am not aware of any tool for scanning for #includes.

> 3.  If so, where can I find some example build files
> for C++ projects?  I could only find one example build
> file in the Manual.

Written from Java programmers for Java programmers - so the
chance to find a C++ example in the manual is not very high :)

Jan