ant-user mailing list archives

From "Alexey N. Solofnenko" <A.Solofne...@mdl.com>
Subject Re: What continuous integration tool would you recommend?
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 05:53:13 GMT

jfuller@ruminate.co.uk wrote:

>>A view is just some directory - nothing special is required. Only
>>generating custom config specs is important, but this is a custom code
>>

>u can add custom config specs to your definition of a view directly in anthill pro...

Actually I generate the config spec before every build.

>>task. I do not suppose AntHill can try to extract good changes out of
>>the last failed build? Or can it execute different commands depending on
>>

>extract good changes out of the last failed build ? I am unsure...if you mean to take
those components that compiled and tested...and perhaps tagged as LAST_GOOD_BUILD then yes.

This is an "integration" build - components should not break each other
- so they can be labeled together or not. I meant that within100 changes
since the last good build there can be 98 "good" changes and just 2 that
were not well thought and I want all good changes to go through
automatic certification process (yes, ultimately by running automatic
tests and applying LAST_GOOD_BUILD label). I am doing it by dynamically
generating config specs that mask some of the changes (again by using
the label) and trying to certify some other changes. With many remote
offices, time differences and even different holidays it became
extremely important to be able to extract good changes even out of
failed builds, so the development will never stop.

>>previous build failure history (dynamically calculated)? Now how would
>>

>yes, u can fire off another build or define custom commands based upon the success or
failure of a build...I tend to have 1 very smart build or many builds...depends on the project
and what state its in...though the general drift goal over time is to have 1 build for each
component...

How would AntHill decide what command to execute? Only a custom script
can do and it should be a part of the tool itself, because it needs
access to the whole build history to make a smart decision.

>>teach a commercial product to do it?
>>

>yes, Anthill Pro is an expensive build but in relative project cost terms a trivial expense.
>
>...ok enough...people will start thinking I work for the people who make Anthill Pro !
though I have tried all of them, including building my own with mixtures of Maven, Jelly,
jython and Ant....seems to be the best compromise out of of all of em.

>gl in your search and definately inform the list if you find a unique approach.

Thank you, but most likely I will choose a freeware project that I can
alter to match my requirements.