ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: Easy Question: Rename a Directory
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:03:09 GMT
David F. White wrote:
> Is there an easy way to rename a directory that doesn't have a
> performance drain?  The Ant documentation states that the "<Rename>"
> task has been deprecated and to use "<Move>" instead.  However, all the
> examples I've seen with the "<Move>" task involve moving all the files
> and sub-directories to the new directory and then deleting the old
> directory:
> <move todir="${temp.dir}/newname" includeEmptyDirs="true" overwrite="true">
>         <fileset dir="${temp.dir}/oldname"/>
> </move>

There is code in <move> to drop down to File.renameTo where possible. It
would be good to understand why this is not happening for you. There may
be some condition which is preventing that from working (filtering, for
example) or it might be a bug. In any case when it can't rename, <move>
goes into copy/delete mode. Can you tell us what is happening in

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message