ant-user mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pros and cons!
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:25:00 GMT
Inger, Matthew wrote:

> On your cons:
>
> 1.  I disagree that it's not as powerful as batch/shell scripts.
>     In fact, given that you can run any os command, I think it's more
>     powerful.  And there are some external tasks allowing you to run scripts
>     in an arbitrary command interperator
>
> 2.  The reasoning i usually get when asking this question is that loops,
> conditionals
>     can complicate the script, and are against the philosophy of what ANT is
> supposed
>     to be.  It's not "supposed" to be a scripting language.  That being
> said, there are
>     3rd party tasks that can deal with conditionals in a more programatic
> way
>     (such as <if>), and perform looping (<foreach>).

Additional Pros and Cons:
-------------------------

Common tasks seems to solid and reliable and backed by an active and
engaged community.

Recent additions in 1.6.1 make ant extensibility much easier to manage
but a formal plugin model is still missing (or at least the present
product mix and docs don't present a clear pure ant solution).

Notion of offline versus online seems to be missing (something that
enables isolation of a build with concern for things like the side
effects of a get).

Pros and Cons I'm not sure about:

Notions of a artifact repository (thing produced and consumed by builds)
is not something understood within ant.  It is existed then you could
consider path objects that acquired real absolute paths from abstract
repository artifact identifiers - which would potentially improve
significantly the reusabiliy of build.xml files.

Cheers, Steve.