ant-user mailing list archives

From Kendall Shaw <ques...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Not a FAQ? make-like build prerequisites
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:46:08 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
> Ant has a different philosophy that make, and it requires a bit of time to
> 'get it' or do the mental shift compared to makefiles.
>
> That said, Peter Reilly developed in Ant-Contrib a task called <outofdate>
> whose purpose is to emulate in Ant makefile-like dependencies between files.

 From tests I did with uptodate, examples I've seen of outofdate and
dependset so far, and from what I gather from reading their
descriptions, they seem to be used to manually code the build
prerequisite logic yourself.

The point for me of having a build tool is to avoid having to do this
manual coding, otherwise I might as well just write scripts, and it
becomes a question of which is a more appropriate scripting language for
this, ant or something else.

Make exists, if what I've read is true, because people found it to be a
hassle to reptitively write the same logic in shell scripts, so make was
written, which takes a list of rules instead of a script which
explicitely tests files.

Of course, ant has other niceties, like filesets and extensibility. I'll
  still have to weigh the difficulties and benefits.

It might make more sense for me to use make or another tool, to handle
the build rules, and call ant from the rules, where that is useful.

Kendall