ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Powell <scotthpow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cannot get Ant to work. Error message is java.lang.InstantationException: org.apache.tools.ant.Main
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:31:31 GMT
--- Ivan Ivanov <rambiusparkisanius@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Scott Powell <scotthpowell@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Wow -- that did get it to run.
> >
> > I would typically run the script from within
> > Eclipse,
> > which might be a problem if I have to erase the
> > classpath every time.
> Do you mean that you run ant.bat from Eclispe? If
> so,
> it is very strange way to run ant from Eclipse. I
> use
> Eclispe too and it usually comes with preconfigured
> Ant with. It also be configured to use another ant
> installation.

I just pick "run as ant script" basically from within
Eclipse.  I don't know if that runs ant.bat or not.
But it was giving me a similar error message.  It
seems there's a way to explicitly configure Eclipse's
Ant integration and that might resolve the problem
from within that IDE.

> > So how can I root out any old versions of ant?  Is
> > it
> > definitely a classpath setting or is it possible
> my
> > path setting is a problem?

> I do not know what was the problem in your case. I
> only know that ant starts scripts are responsible
> for
> building ant classpath, which is used to start and
> run
> ant. And if my application requires another jars I
> configure the classpath in the application's
> build.xml. I never set CLASSPATH as an environment
> variable when using ant - it makes me a little
> nervous
> and this prevents me from that issues of your kind.
> As for PATH problems, you can expect your PATH to
> see
> what is included in it say with
> echo %PATH%
> You can also use the command 'which' to see where
> ant.bat is picked from but in this case you must
> download which.exe

I'll look into this some more.  I moved the Ant
classpath reference to the front of the list and it
worked fine without clearing out the classpath
environment variable entirely.

Thanks to your response about an old Ant install
messing things up, I will scan my system for all
ant.jar files and adjust things to only use the new
downloaded-straight-from-apache Ant deployment.

Thanks

> > Thanks
> > Scott
> >
> > <rambiusparkisanius@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 0) First of all, check if you have another
> version
> > > of
> > > ant installed on your machine. If you have
> remove
> > it
> > > from your PATH.
> > > 1) unset CLASSPATH
> > > 2) invoke %ANT_HOME%\bin\ant - it should pickup
> > its
> > > CLASSPATH correctly

> > > 1.6.2).

> > c:\ant\bin.

> > Eclipse

> > > java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:293)
> > java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)

org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:196)

org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:56)

> > > used

> > and
> > > errors
> > errors
> > Eclipse,

> get
> the
> than

> > > New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB
> messages!

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > user-help@ant.apache.org

> > Vote for the stars of Yahoo!'s next ad campaign!

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > user-help@ant.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@ant.apache.org