ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <rambiusparkisan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cannot get Ant to work. Error message is java.lang.InstantationException: org.apache.tools.ant.Main
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:20:54 GMT
--- Scott Powell <scotthpowell@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wow -- that did get it to run.
>
> I would typically run the script from within
> Eclipse,
> which might be a problem if I have to erase the
> classpath every time.
Do you mean that you run ant.bat from Eclispe? If so,
it is very strange way to run ant from Eclipse. I use
Eclispe too and it usually comes with preconfigured
Ant with. It also be configured to use another ant
installation.

> So how can I root out any old versions of ant?  Is
> it
> definitely a classpath setting or is it possible my
> path setting is a problem?
I do not know what was the problem in your case. I
only know that ant starts scripts are responsible for
building ant classpath, which is used to start and run
ant. And if my application requires another jars I
configure the classpath in the application's
build.xml. I never set CLASSPATH as an environment
variable when using ant - it makes me a little nervous
and this prevents me from that issues of your kind.
As for PATH problems, you can expect your PATH to see
what is included in it say with
echo %PATH%
You can also use the command 'which' to see where
ant.bat is picked from but in this case you must
download which.exe

> Thanks
> Scott
>
> <rambiusparkisanius@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 0) First of all, check if you have another version
> > of
> > ant installed on your machine. If you have remove
> it
> > from your PATH.
> > 1) unset CLASSPATH
> > 2) invoke %ANT_HOME%\bin\ant - it should pickup
> its
> > CLASSPATH correctly
> >
> > --- Scott Powell <scotthpowell@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've downloaded Ant twice (version 1.6.1 and
> > 1.6.2).
> > >
> > > My environment variables are:
> > > CLASSPATH includes both c:\ant\lib and
> c:\ant\bin.
> > > ANT_HOME is c:\ant
> > > JAVA_HOME is c:\Program Files\Java\j2sdk1.4.2\
> > >
> > > Other Java apps, like Poseidon, JBuilder,
> Eclipse
> > > and
> > > JRun all work fine.
> > >
> > > But I cannot get Ant to run.  I get this error
> > > message
> > > every time:
> > >
> > > java.lang.InstantationException:
> > > org.apache.tools.ant.Main
> > >     at
> > java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:293)
> > >     at
> java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:261)
> > >     at

org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:196)
> > >     at

org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:56)