ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Powell <scotthpow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Cannot get Ant to work. Error message is java.lang.InstantationException: org.apache.tools.ant.Main
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:14:31 GMT
Hi,

I've downloaded Ant twice (version 1.6.1 and 1.6.2).

My environment variables are:
CLASSPATH includes both c:\ant\lib and c:\ant\bin.
ANT_HOME is c:\ant
JAVA_HOME is c:\Program Files\Java\j2sdk1.4.2\

Other Java apps, like Poseidon, JBuilder, Eclipse and
JRun all work fine.

But I cannot get Ant to run.  I get this error message
every time:

java.lang.InstantationException:
org.apache.tools.ant.Main
    at
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:196)
    at
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:56)

I have tried both the BIN distribution and the source
code distribution.  With the source code, I've used
the included build script.

I have also tried compiling with both Eclipse and
JBuilder X -- both reported many compilation errors
(though I don't know enough Java to say the errors
were in the code and not how I organized the
projects).  When I tried to debug within Eclipse, I
basically got the same error message.

Any advice on how to get Ant working?

Also, it would be neat to understand how to get a
clean build in JBX or Eclipse (just to give the tools
a chance to build something more elaborate than
"Hello, World ... have a nice day!"

Thanks
Scott