ant-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mail...@laPoste.net>
Subject RE: optional task jars
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:26:04 GMT
On mar, 2004-07-20 at 14:55 -0500, Dominique Devienne wrote:

> My only comment to this is that when we started developing our java stuff on
> Linux, the Ant version installed on Linux (thru some developer package) just
> conflicted with our CVS-controlled centralized platform-independent Ant
> version. We advice our developers to get rid of that Ant version on Linux,
> and I also reset the CLASSPATH before calling Ant, just in case they don't.
> I much prefer the normal Ant distro myself, on any platform. --DD

Well obviously a CVS-controlled centralized platform-independent Ant is
restricted to a limited number of people. And (I'm not judging you, life
is not perfect, sometime meeting targets means taking ugly shortcuts)
you took the cheap way out - identifying the problem in the distribution
ant and getting it fixed upstream would have been better for everyone in
the long run.

If the right fix costs Y and the cheap one X, well maybe X < Y but
Y << big_user_number × X so a short-term win is a long-term loss for
everyone. I find it sad so many java people ignore it when they move to
a platform (like ant+linux) where they are actually allowed to fix
problems. Putting more efforts in is not always a loss, if the returns
are bigger.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot