ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Basic Questions about Classpath
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:07:19 GMT
I agree with you; it makes more sense to set the classpath explicitly for a
given process than to rely on what might be in the CLASSPATH environment
variable. I got away with using the environment variable in XP but it was
more by luck than skill.

That's why I started trying to supply it explicitly via a classpath
attribute on the Win2000 machine. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to help;
even when I had the CLASSPATH environment variable and the classpath
attribute set to the correct paths, the <java> task used the path to the
executable jar alone, ignoring both the environment variable and the
attribute. My note was trying to confirm that Ant should be using the
classpath attribute if it was set and use the CLASSPATH environment variable
if the attribute was not set. You have confirmed that this is what should
happen.

Now I have to figure out why it isn't happening. So far, I can't think of a
good reason for this weird behaviour. The CLASSPATH env. var. was set to the
correct values on the Win2000 machine and this was confirmed via 'echo
%CLASSPATH%' at the command line. The CLASSPATH env. var. is a global/system
env. var., not a user env. var., as confirmed in the Control Panel and there
is no user CLASSPATH variable to override the global env. var. We will have
to try deleting the CLASSPATH env. var. while specifying it within Ant and
see if that fixes the problem.

I've already run the Ant script with the -debug and -v flags on and it
confirms that the CLASSPATH matches the CLASSPATH env. var. which just
deepens the mystery and adds to the frustration; the program continues to
fail because it can't see my JDBC driver, even though it is in the
CLASSPATH.

Can you (or anyone else) tell me how to run "Ant diagnostics"? I'm not aware
of any diagnostics beyond the -v and -debug fields? I can't find anything
about diagnostics in the manual either.

Rhino