ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Basic Questions about Classpath
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:12:21 GMT
I am trying to help my friend Ron with a problem we were having on his Windows 2000 machine
yesterday. He has already posted about it but I just want to review the basic concept in case
I'm missing something conceptual. These questions refer to Ant 1.6.1.
  1.. Am I right in assuming that a <java> task that does not contain a classpath attribute
will use the value of the system property java.class.path, which is derived from the CLASSPATH
environment variable currently in effect? Will this be true for both <java> tasks that
are executing .class files and <java> tasks that are executing jar files?
  2.. Am I right that a <java> task which *does* contain a classpath attribute will
use only the classpath specified in the attribute and ignore any classpath set in the CLASSPATH
environment variable?
I am trying to understand why a <java> task that I wrote works fine on XP without any
classpath attribute yet doesn't work on Windows 2000, regardless of whether I use a classpath
attribute or not. On both platforms, the CLASSPATH environment variable includes the jar file
the program needs to see in order to execute correctly.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that
there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there
are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare