ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: pros and cons!
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:40:27 GMT

In the Avalon case they have around three levels of plugins (i.e. a
bootstrap loader loads plugin which itself loads plugins, etc. etc.).
Maintaining a complete build, test and runtime model for all of this
(currently 116 versioned projects) was simply getting out of control -
which was the impetus for the creation of Magic in the first place.

> In addition, for our commercial products, we have
> multiple build systems, none of which are currently Ant, in spite of
> my persistent hammering. However, I'll download it and give it a spin.

Keep in mind that it's under active development as we speak (i.e.
anticipate differences between docs and the real thing).

> Also, you might be interested in:
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3382081

This may be interesting - I don't suppose you have any addition links to
actual spec?

Steve.

> It's part of our project to produce distributions which can be
> transformed into InstallAnywhere (ZeroG) distributions.
>
> Roger.
>
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:55:47 +0200, Stephen McConnell
> <mcconnell@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Roger:
> >
> > Magic is another project doing something similar to what you're
> > describing below.
> >
> > http://avalon.apache.org/central/tools/magic
> >
> > Cheers, Steve.

Ant