ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: patterns conditionals/macrodef
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 07:23:43 GMT
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, John-Mason Shackelford
<> wrote:

> As soon as a condition is required in one of the macrodefs, the
> whole thing falls apart.

I don't think I've understood your build problem, but I can confirm
the general statement that there are certain kinds of
macro-candidates that are impossible to write without an <if> task.

> If not, of the two evils which should I regard as the greater: the
> if task, or the antcall?

Ask yourself why you consider each of the two to be evil.  <antcall>
is a resource hog and most of the time does things as a side effect
that you really don't want to do (re-run dependencies) - I'd avoid
by the Ant committers.  <if> used in the wrong way will lead to bad
build files, but you seem to know when to use and when to avoid it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message