ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: patterns conditionals/macrodef
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 07:36:00 GMT
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> I believe conditions in builds are natural, and it's a shame Ant
> still refuses to admit it fully,

It doesn't?

> allowing conditions in some places but not others,

I see.  The add if/unless to all elements story 8-)

> but the greater evil is procedural builds (as opposed to descriptive
> / functional ones),

This is the reason why I am not supporting an <if> task as part of
Ant's core distribution (note that "not supporting" and "opposing" are
two different things).

I'm afraid that many new users of Ant will clutter their build files
transition from batch/script based build systems to start with.  Users
will stop at this point and fail to realize that there is a different
- and superior - way to rewrite the same build file without those
tasks (most of the time).

Having those tasks available (I'm one of the primary authors of
Ant-Contrib's <if> - but I've never used it myself 8-) is good for
people who really need them.  Hiding them a little by not making them
part of the core Ant distribution seems to be good to make people
learn the Ant way of structuring builds.

> and a sure fire sign of this is <antcall>.

+1

Stefan