ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: separate jvms
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 00:02:18 GMT
> From: Gregory Gimler [mailto:shark@ll.mit.edu]
>
> I have a question about starting up java processes on separate JVMs.  I
> have some unit tests that require certain services to be up and running
> before testing.  I thought the <java fork="yes"> option would have done
> the
> trick but what happens is it runs my daemon and stops there and doesn't
> execute any more ant tasks until I CTRL-C the daemon.  So I did the
> spawn="yes" option and that did the trick.  The daemon started up, my unit
> tests then ran, and the build finished successfully.  However, then I
> still
> had the daemon running in the background (something I don't want).  Is
> this
> a bug or is there another way to do this with fork?  Thanks.

This is all by design. Spawn="yes" is intended for starting processes
that should outlive the Ant VM.

What you want is probably <parallel>. Never used it myself, so I don't
have specific example, but there should be some in the archive. I believe
the trick is to have a way to delay the Unit tests until all servers
are started, using something like <waitfor> for example. --DD