ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kreinick, Michael H." <michael.krein...@gs.com>
Subject RE: Using Ant to build multitarget mixed C++/Java projects
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:44:48 GMT
Thanks for the reply.
>*  Cpptasks was hard to learn because the documentation was less than
>intuitive at that time.  Also, not as many people used it
>then.  I've since figured out how it works a little more, though.
I don't know if it's better or not, but I'm not having too much trouble
figuring it out. I got a hello world app running under 2 of my compilers
without incident.
[snip]
>The last job I had required working with a complicated
>multipart make file using two platforms.  It became very, very
>cryptic, IMHO.
Yup. I'm trying to replace a combination of ksh, make, and perl.
[snip]
>*  Another downside to Cpptasks, again using the latest official
>release, is that I couldn't switch GCC compilers as easily.
>There is no
>apparent way to specify a compiler version in the build.xml file.  The
>path needs to be set ahead of time.
This could be a nasty hitch. Could you do something stupid like put a dummy
dir in your path and then make a shellscript in the dummy dir from inside
Ant that just forwards to the compiler you want?
[snip]

It does look like Ant's the tool for me, but I'm still not sure how I'm
going to handle setting up the various library, compiler, and product
versions in a clean way. Right now I'm thinking about whacking something
together with a gigantic property file, and the foreach and propertyselector
Tasks from ant-contrib. Pull out the lines for each version from the
gigantic property file, and use the results. Anyone have any thoughts?

-Michael