ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kreinick, Michael H." <michael.krein...@gs.com>
Subject Using Ant to build multitarget mixed C++/Java projects
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:39:29 GMT
I'm looking into various alternatives for building a set of products,
written in a mix of C++ and Java (with some JNI). The products need to build
under Windows, Solaris, and Linux using various compilers for each platform.
They also need to be built with different versions of their library
dependencies, then regression tested.

I know Ant does have C++ build tasks. What worries me is whether Ant,
designed with Java's build-once-run-everywhere model in mind, will work well
to build the same source 5 or 10 different times. I've never used Ant
before, and I haven't done as much reading as I perhaps should have, but it
seems ill-suited to this kind of problem. I get the impression that if I
hack hard enough I can make it happen, but that it won't be very clean
because of the Java philosophy Ant takes for granted.

I've looked for examples of this type of use on the Web and list with no
luck. It seems few people are trying to use Ant for C++ at all, and none
that I found are trying to do what I'm trying to do.

So: Is Ant C++ support mature enough that I should even be thinking about
using it for this? Has anyone out there tried the same kind of thing? Would
any experienced users like to offer a sketch of how they would go about it?
Will I be fighting the Ant project model all the way?

I'm also looking at sCons and boost.Jam for this. If anyone has other
suggestions, they'd be welcome.

-Michael