ant-user mailing list archives

From Wascally Wabbit <wascallywab...@earthling.net>
Subject Re: optional ant tasks question
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:14:21 GMT
At 11:11 AM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
>Thanks for the feedback.  The problem I have with these solutions is that
>people can't use vanilla ant and then just checkout our code base
>without having to make modifications to their individual ant distribution,
>move around and install jar files, or pass special parameters into ant
>when running a target.  It
>doesn't seem like the cleanest solution.  Is there no other way?  I guess
>one could put the specific -lib command line switch in a shell script that
>wraps the
>and command but I'm not too fond of that either.  Thanks.

Seems to me the current way(s) are some of the cleanest ways.
Ant cannot predict all of the combinations of custom/optional
tasks its users might want. Not to mention the requirements
of a company's system administration team/group wrt. how Ant
is actually called (e.g. they may create their own variants
to Ant's own launch scripts). Ant (1.6+) supports a variety
of extension mechanisms to deal w/ this variety as well as
individual tinkering.

Since your tasks require the additional jars it seems like
your installation instructions should spell out your product's
requirements. Then a client (or a sys admin) can ensure the
the extensions are loaded in an appropriate way to enable your
product.

Just my 2cents,

>                                                               -Greg
>
>At 01:45 AM 6/4/2004, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004, Gregory Gimler <shark@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >       However, when using one of the official ant custom tasks
>> >       (i.e. junit and antlr) it specifies I must have it in my
>> >       classpath environment variable or inside of the $ANT_HOME/lib
>> >       directory.
>>
>>or on your CLASSPATH or ~/.ant/lib or in a directory specified by the
>>-lib command line switch.
>>
>>Stefan

The Wabbit