ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com>
Subject Re: Alternatives to Ant's XML Syntax
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:09:44 GMT
Demyanovich, Craig - Apogent wrote:
> As soon as I read the first few lines of your post, I was reminded of Martin
> Fowler's bliki entry, BuildLanguage:
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/BuildLanguage.html.  I haven't thought about
> these ideas much, but there are people out there who either find Ant syntax
> unappealing or who find it not expressive enough for their complex builds.
> Have a look.

I hadn't seen the Fowler piece, but I'd read the Bruce Eckel one he
quotes and the James Duncan Davidson one quoted by Eckel.  While I think
they are right about the utility of a full-fledged scripting language in
a build system, that wasn't my concern here.  The main problem is the
noise of XML.  Not that I really expect anyone to do anything about it;
I'd been hoping that someone already had.

   -- Scott