ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jack J. Woehr" <...@purematrix.com>
Subject Re: patterns conditionals/macrodef
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:30:39 GMT
"Shackelford, John-Mason" wrote:

> Have the committers have found a pattern which allows them to avoid this
> situation? If not, of the two evils which should I regard as the greater:
> the if task, or the antcall? Is there a solution for this catch-22 on the
> horizon?

As I pointed out on this list two and a half years ago, the Prolog world found
it impossible to continue without some procedural syntax. Lacking a native If
task, and dreading supplementary .jar files, I tried as long as possible to avoid
AntContrib If task. Eventually I had to face it: Some very reasonable execution
paths are simply unreadable and nearly unmaintainable without If - Then - Else.

Not to say I want Ant necessarily to adopt If task. The last thing I want to
see is dueling incompatible If tasks between Ant and AntContrib.

--
Jack J. Woehr      # We have gone from the horse and buggy
Senior Consultant  # to the moon rocket in one lifetime, but