ant-user mailing list archives

From Eric Weidner <eric.weid...@openlogic.com>
Subject Re: Gnu make files to Ant
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:58:42 GMT
On Monday 07 June 2004 03:54 pm, Mani G. Iyer wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am going to undertake a project requiring me to convert all gnu make
> files to ant scripts.  Do any of you have any tips, tricks, tools, URLs,
> war stories to share on this conversion, to ease the process?  Thanks.
>

> Mani

Rule #1: Do not do a direct port of 1 make file = 1 ant file.  This is not a
good use of ant.

Look at your entire project and split up it up into logical goupings. Usually
per artifact is as fine as you want to go.  So for each jar you produce, you
will have a "project" with one ant file for that particular artifact.

If you only produce a few artifacts during your build, you may only have 1 ant
file for your entire project.  This is typical for standard J2EE applications
where you may generate a few EJB's (or not), some webapp classes, a war, and
an ear.

Somewhere between 1 ant file and 1 ant file per artifact is where you should
end up.

Good luck.

Eric