ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <rambiusparkisan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: org/apache/tools/ant/launch/Launcher
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:26:35 GMT
Hi,

This message is a little bit of topic, but let me
share how I dealt with this. As far as I understand
the problem with the ant-launcher comes from two ant
versions on same machine.

First, I was rarely forced to support several ant
version in my environment since Ant developers strive
quite a lot for backward compatabilties, so when I get
the new version, I remove the old one (and have only
small upgrading problems - usually I forget to move
the third party jars in the lib dir of the new Ant).

Second, when I have to work with two ant versions, I
unzip their archives in convinient directory say
/usr/java and get
/usr/java/ant1.5.3 - the directory for Ant 1.5.3
/usr/java/ant1.6.1 - the directory for Ant 1.6.1

Than I create symbolic link to the one I will work
more:
cd /usr/java
ln -s /usr/java/ant1.6.1 /usr/java/ant

and finally I set in my .bash_profile (or .basrrc):
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/ant

Thus when I want to change the ant version I am
working with I simply changed the symbolic link
/usr/java/ant to point to the other ant version
directory.

This pracitice prevents me from any conflicts between
ant versions.

HTH IvAn(t)

P.S. Also, there are ant distribution prepackaged for
concrete Linux distributions (rpm or deb), but I do
not  use them - since they are a little bit
restrictive.