ant-user mailing list archives

From "Gary Eberhart" <g...@cmcflex.com>
Subject Deployment Question
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:38:40 GMT
Hello

I have a bunch of files in a directory called "Web Contents". I deploy these
files to a remote server in a directory called "application". I can only use
FTP, no mounted drives, to send files and I can not depend on time stamps.
The FTP task works great to send these files. However, I can't afford to
send every file with every little change. I only want to send the changed
files.

What works,

I calculate the <checksum> value for all the local files in Web Contents.
This creates a file named filename.MD5 for each file in the Web Contents
directory and places the .MD5 file in the same directory as the file the
checksum value for.

Then I run a remote Ant task, using AntServer/RemoteAnt, to do the same on
the remote files.

Need Help,

So, for each file in the Web Contents directory I want to compare the .MD5
file to the remote .MD5 file, if they are different I know the local and
remote files are different. If so, I will use the FTP task to send the files
from the Web Contents directory to the application directory.

How should I do this?

Maybe,

1. Run the check sum task on the local and the remote files.
2. FTP the remote .MD5 files back to the client.
3. Use the Foreach task to run the following tasks on each file in the Web
Contents directory.
  a. Condition/filesmatch to compare the two checksum files.
  b. Use an If task with nested FTP tasks to send the file if the checksums
did not match.

I feel like I'm really missing the point.

Gary