ant-user mailing list archives

From "Pawanraj Sadhwani" <pawan...@elitecore.com>
Subject RE: deployments...
Date Sat, 22 May 2004 05:00:55 GMT
Hi

In our organization, we make wars for testing and prod versions. EJB's are
packaged in a different ear. At the developer level we allow an exploded
War... although ejb's still stay in a jar.

This way, only one <make-war> target changes from deployment to developer...

We have an integration project also, where 2 diff projects are being
combined.. Due to xdoclet quirks (or so i think :-)).. we need the source
files of the core project also. We also need to take care of the fact that
the developer might be working with a version of core to finish his job.

What we've done therefore is .. at developer level, we use local copy of the
core project source files (on dev machine).. this source is taken from the
VSS in case of prod build.

I feel that separate dev and prod builds are a good idea. Now with the
import task in 1.6.1, maintaining two builds should not be a problem... It
would be easy to refactor the common bits into a build file and import that
both places.

Pawan

-----Original Message-----
From: Artemis Ozten [mailto:aozten@webalg.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 3:05 AM
To: Ant Users List; snesbitt@cobaltgroup.com
Subject: RE: deployments...

In our organization, we have one build file that handles 3 different types
of deployments based on one command line argument:

1. Development
2. QA
3. Production

And one fundamental decision:

"While build scripts will be tuned towards developer's productivity, there
shall not be any partial deployments for Production or QA. (Partial
deployments are prone to errors and fail in the long run especially in large
organizations)"

In other words, developer scripts are simple enough to use "update" option
for compilation or archiving and "copy" command to update only modified
parts of the deployables. On the other hand, QA or Production deployments
are always dependent on .EAR (= xxx-ejb.jar + .WAR) file.

The default for the command line argument is "development", to make sure
that typing is minimal for the developer and when one uses any other
destination such as "production", one has to type a long parameter value
correctly to avoid accidental deployments.