ant-user mailing list archives

From "Artemis Ozten" <aoz...@webalg.com>
Subject RE: deployments...
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 21:35:19 GMT
In our organization, we have one build file that handles 3 different types of deployments based
on one command line argument:

1. Development
2. QA
3. Production

And one fundamental decision:

"While build scripts will be tuned towards developer's productivity, there shall not be any
partial deployments for Production or QA. (Partial deployments are prone to errors and fail
in the long run especially in large organizations)"

In other words, developer scripts are simple enough to use "update" option for compilation
or archiving and "copy" command to update only modified parts of the deployables. On the other
hand, QA or Production deployments are always dependent on .EAR (= xxx-ejb.jar + .WAR) file.

The default for the command line argument is "development", to make sure that typing is minimal
for the developer and when one uses any other destination such as "production", one has to
type a long parameter value correctly to avoid accidental deployments.