ant-user mailing list archives

From "Robert r. Sanders" <robert.sand...@ipov.net>
Subject Re: Ant's FTP task & library dependencies
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 13:29:16 GMT

Steve Cohen wrote:

> <>Thanks for the information! iFTP sounds neat!

Thanks.  About 2 years ago I was trying to use the ANT FTP task as
became very frustrated with the large amount of duplication; looking at
the code internals I was pretty impressed; it took two college students
about a week to write the bulk of the iFtp code using that as a starting
point.  With the release of commons-net one of them who was still
working for me spend a couple of hours and updated the code to use that.

> <>
> I'm glad to see you're keeping up with the latest version of
> commons-net. Do
> you or your users find the new autodection-of-server-type functionality
> useful? The ability to pull full FTPFile objects with dates should
> help in
> the ant environment. This was the big motivation behind this release.
>
> Do you have many users outside the USA? One area I would like to
> improve is
> the parsing of dates when the server uses a different set of month
> abbreviations or a different date format from what the parser is
> expecting.
> I have received a few complaints about this but I have been reluctant to
> tackle this until I have more empirical information about how dates are
> formatted on FTP servers in different locales and also how an FTP client
> might learn what formatting style to accept.

I really couldn't say.  We have gotten a few questions from this list,
and from the email address posted on the our web site, most of which we
have been able to either answer of fix.  To tell you the truth, we don't
use FTP much any more, so I don't have any current experience.  We got
one email saying that switching to iFtp had cut a build time from 5 to 2
minutes, as the FTP connection is shared.

--
    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist