ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant nightly builds
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 06:14:32 GMT
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think these were discontinued

Unfortunately yes, but I think we are pretty close to reinstate them
once the new ASF machines will run Gump on a regular basis.

> due to the fact that Gump builds Ant as well as lots of other things
> daily (or more often).

No, that's not the reason.  This has always been true.

Gump creates everything a nightly Ant build would need every night on
a couple of machines.  More than half a year ago we had one instance
of Gump running on the private machine of Sam Ruby and Sam would
publish the results - including the nightly Ant builds - to
cvs.apache.org.  Then one day that machine died.

The main issue with the remaining Gump instances is that neither of
them is running on ASF owned hardware.  We wouldn't want to distribute
nightly Gump builds from a non-ASF machine.  Both for oversight and
bandwidth reasons (we don't want to punish the people who are kind
enough to run Gump).

Moving the results from the non-ASF machines to an ASF owned machine
is simply a security or time issue.  For example, I run Gump on my
company workstation at night.  I could publish the results manually,
but then I'd have to log in to that machine every day - even if I'm
traveling or so.  I don't trust any machine that is at least half-way
public accessible enough to place my SSH key or even worse a
password-less key on it, so I couldn't install an automated process
either.

We are in the process of setting up an ASF owned machine for Gump
<http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/> but the installation there is
just a test right now.  We may even end up using a different box or a
different OS on the same machine in the end.

Stefan