ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Style task does not fail fast
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 06:10:41 GMT
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Willie Wheeler <wwheeler@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> 	Ant does in fact catch the error (it reports
>
> [style]
> C:/cygwin/home/wwheeler/oli/logic-1.0/omdoc/omdoc2oli.xsl:116:29: Er
> ror! xsl:apply-tempaltes is not allowed in this position in the
> stylesheet!
>
> as it's doing the build), but then the build just continues.  And
> when the message is buried among hundreds of lines of other
> messages, it is easy for it to go by unnoticed.  It seems to me that
> an error like that ought to stop the build.  I think in earlier
> versions of Ant it stopped the build.

Maybe these earlier versions of Ant also used a different version of
Xalan?

For Ant it is very difficult (I tend to say impossible) to guess from
the text of an error message - and that's all Ant has here - that the
problem is fatal.  In fact, TraX defines
javax.xml.transform.ErrorListener which is implemented by Ant and this
has error(TransformerException) as well as
fatalError(TransformerException).  If the transformer issues a
fatalError call, Ant terminates the process, but in your case the
transformer decided it was non fatal and only called error.

Like I said, it may have been a different version of the transformer.

Stefan