ant-user mailing list archives

From Andre.Fleischer....@hermes-lg.de
Subject Antwort: RE: Antwort: Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere Studio and Ant
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:40:08 GMT

Hi,

we split up our build scripts, too. And I see the benefits by providing the
devlepers such an aid, i would be happy if I can provide such a solution to
our developers.
First, main reason why I do not choose your way was the time comsuming
generation of the ejb's deployment code. Whe have around 16 EJB-jars, 3
Util-Jars, 1 Client-Jars, 1 EAR and 2 WARs.
The 16 EJBs contains around 50 Entity-Beans, 5 Message-Beans and 30
Sessions-Beans. Running a full build (refresh vom source control, compile,
deployment code, creating jar) took around 45 minutes.
A very long time to take your coffee ;-)

André

     "North                                                                     Alex"
                                                                 <Alex.Nort
                              An                     h@tapiola.          "Ant Users List"
                                      fi>                 <user@ant.apache.org>
                                                                                 Kopie
                 21.04.2004
  09:20                                            Thema
       RE: Antwort: Performing unattended                                         daily builds
with WebSphere Studio                             Bi          and Ant
                                   tt
     an                                                                         tw
                                                                 or
                                                  te
                    zu
     "A                                                                         nt
                                                                 Us
                                                  er
                    Li
     st                                                                         "
                                                                 <u
                                                     se
                                      r@
                       an
        t.                                                                         ap
                                                                    ac
                                                     he
                                      .o
                       rg

Hi

I think it depends on your environment and what phase the project is going
through as to how useful and how often you need to run them, and of course
your process.

We use ANT quite a lot and from within WSAD as a development aid.  You can
compile, build dependency JARs, EJB deploy code, etc from within the tool
... but you have to sit there and do it (or configure the tool to do it).
We have a few people doing different parts of an application ... a
developer can come in in the morning and run a task to refresh from the
source control system (clearcase in our case), regenerate all that is
needed (other people change their EJB interfaces, add new schemas that
require JAXB generation, and change code) and recompile ... and go get
their coffee in the meantime.  It's done the same every time ... no
forgetting to compile (or fully recompile) this part or regenerate some
other part.

The tasks are split up so that just the item you want can be run (we also
have other generations such as JAXB being peformed from the ANT scripts).
Extra tasks such as some static code checking, unit test execution, and
reports can also easily be run from here.  Then there is a task that can
deploy the EAR to the target environment, which calls upon the other tasks
to do it's job.  For our developers, it's a great way to get things done.

Just another viewpoint on how things can be done.

<= Alex =>

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com