ant-user mailing list archives

From Nick_Giana...@sybari.com
Subject Re: Assign new value to an existing property
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:44:43 GMT
Thanks Peter.  The external task I'm using is cpptask w/ Ant 1.6.1
So all I have to do is drop the jar in the appropriate lib directory and
reference it w/ the namespace?

Regards,
Nick G.

Peter Reilly <peter.reilly@corvil.com>
04/30/2004 12:48 PM
Please respond to "Ant Users List"

        To:     Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Assign new value to an existing property

In ant 1.6, the idea is to use xml namespaces
to trigger loading of third party (and in a near
future ant release ant optional) tasks and types.

The reason for this is allow different ant task
libraries to use their own names - so for example
one could use the name "filter" for a type
without checking to see it is already used by
other ant libraries.

When this was initially consided by the ant-dev
mailing list, it was decided to use xml namespace
to select the namespace rather than use some ad-hoc
scheme (like using a prefix).

With an antlib, all one needs to do is drop
the jar file containing the tasks/types and any
needed extra jar file into $ANT_HOME/lib or
into ~/.ant/lib, and use the tasks without doing
any <typedef/> or <taskdef/>.

The namespace URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) for
these  antlibs are of the form - "antlib:"<java package name>.

So to use ant-contrib tasks, place the ant-contrib.jar file into
~/.ant/lib. and use the tasks in the build file:

<project default="shelltest" xmlns:ac="antlib:net.sf.antcontrib">
  <target name="shelltest">
    <ac:shellscript>
      ls -lrta
    </ac:shellscript>
   </target>
</project>

One of the problems with using XML NS, is that it can look
confusing and it can be tricky sometimes to know which is
the correct prefix to use.

For example:
<project default="iftest" xmlns:ac="antlib:net.sf.antcontrib">
  <target name="iftest">
   <ac:if>
      <ac:or>
         <ac:equals arg1="/home/peter" arg2="${user.home}"/>
         <ac:equals arg1="/home/preilly" arg2="${user.home}"/>
       </ac:or>
       <ac:then>
          <echo>User is "peter"</echo>
       </ac:then>