ant-user mailing list archives

From "Donald Strong" <dstr...@agentissoftware.com>
Subject RE: suggestions for WSAD or WAS Ant enhancements ?
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:39:45 GMT
Hello Barry,

Wow! Talk about good timing.
I am just reviewing our support for WebSphere.

We use WebSphere as a delivery and development platform.
We don't use WSAD at all, we are definately one of the many people using
"native ant".

This is our list of requirements, in generic terms, for ant support.
  1.. Create a new WebSphere server instance.
  2.. Start a WebSphere server
  3.. Stop a WebSphere server
  4.. Cold deploy to a stopped appserver
  5.. Hot deploy to a started appserver
  6.. Configure:
  - JDBC providers (Data sources, Connection pools)
  - JMS providers
  - Mail providers
Many of these requirments may be satisfied by just getting the right
information.
We do some of the above at the moment, but we do it through batch file
interfaces.
This tends to be slow and clunky, but we were unable to resolve classpath
issues
when we attempted to access the underlying java classes directly.

I am interested in any future discussions that you have on this topic so
please
keep me informed.

Regards
Donald Strong.

I understand that many of the people on this list are using "native ant"
without using WSAD (Studio Application Developer) in its headless or GUI
mode.

That said, several years ago I wrote the Developers Domain articles on how
to use WSAD 'headless' to do Ant builds (ejbDeploy, EarExport, etc).
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0203_se
arle/searle1.html
At that time it was just for 'interest' and was not related to my job, but
it was widely read and remains widely used for WSAD Ant builds (and all
of those initial AntTasks have since been incorporated directly into WSAD).

I have a new job at IBM and am responsible for enhancing the WSAD ability
to do automated (unattended) production builds, and production deployments.
I know we need an 'importProject' AntTask, and can envision several others.
BUT, I would rather get real requirements from current production builders.
- This includes WSAD AntTask additions, and WAS AntTask additions
  = Including running the WAS AntTasks inside WSAD GUI/Headless
- It also includes Ant callable JACL/Jython scripts for common tasks
  = for example, setting WAS StartWeight or ClassloaderMode during deploy

So, please reply to this note, and CC me directly, with your requirements.
Also, try to separate "Required" from "Desirable" enhancements.

Barry Searle,    searle@ca.ibm.com,  905-413-4020
"Architect, WebSphere Tools for Automated Production Build and Deployment".