ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stratton, Jason" <Jason.Strat...@us.ing.com>
Subject RE: Resuming the build process
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:21:06 GMT
Matt,

Thank you. Yes, that makes sense.

But for instance, we are using the ant build to label and get the source tree from PVCS. I
suppose we could perform some test to discover whether a file has the label, but if an error
occurred in the labeling process, would every file need to be checked? If so, then it might
be simpler (and less time consuming?) to just re-label the whole tree.

I was hoping that there might be a reasonably generic solution within ant to just continue
with a particular target.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:04 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Resuming the build process

Normally this is accomplished by making each target
contain enough dependency analysis to avoid processing
any "source files" for which the "target files" are
up-to-date.  This way, all targets run, but don't do
anything unless they need to.  In some cases, you
might manufacture (touch) a target file if the
source-target paradigm doesn't quite fit what you are
trying to do.  But for the most part, in a build, you
start processing one or more files with the intent of
creating or updating one or more other files, right?

-Matt

--- "Stratton, Jason" <Jason.Stratton@us.ing.com>