ant-user mailing list archives

From "Daniels, Doug" <Doug.Dani...@gdc4s.com>
Subject RE: Assign new value to an existing property
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:12:46 GMT
Immutability really comes into play when you are using parent builds to build child builds.
It allows you to set the properties at the parent build and those values will remain throughout
the child build and cannot be overridden. Immutability really came into play for me on more
and override your properties by not inheriting from the old task, this is how the ant-contrib
<foreach> taks works.

~ Doug Daniels

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan Ivanov [mailto:rambiusparkisanius@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 9:09 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: Assign new value to an existing property

>A million thanks to the
> ant-contrib people for producing such useful tasks.
> I've always been kind of confused why most of the
> tasks aren't included in the regular ant
> distribution, I guess its that whole minimalist
> approach and you can always just download these
> tasks.
>
> ~ Doug Daniels

More interesting quetion is why Ant properties are
immutable. I have tried to find some reasons, but none
of them is fully persuasive.
Well, when I take a look at my build.xml's, 80% of the
properties are directory/file names, which of course
change almost never, a few other properties defining
paths and classpath, which also do not change and a
few other properties for server names/ips. So why
bother for the remaining infinitely small part and
rare cases when property changing is needed.
However, can someone answered clearly why properties
have been designed as immutable?

Ivan