ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shackelford, John-Mason" <john-mason.shackelf...@pearson.com>
Subject RE: suggestions for WSAD or WAS Ant enhancements ?
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:46:05 GMT
Barry,

I'd be interested in dialoguing with you about enhancements to the WSAD ant
support. I am an ant user, have authored tens of thousands of lines of build
files, and am active contributor to the eclipse ant.ui plugin.

IMHO the most important thing to keep in mind about your ant support is that
one of the primary reasons many shops elect to use ant is that it allows for
builds which are not tied to any particular platform or IDE. In the past the
ant support in Eclipse has offered "enhancements" which are only useful when
the build files are executed from within Eclipse (headless or otherwise).
While Eclipse development happens in a homogeneous environment with respect
to IDE, I'd bet that most Java development organizations use many different
tools or else expect that its code can be built without respect to a
particular IDE. All this to say, I think that if you want your tool to be
genuinely useful and accepted by the larger ant community, it needs to focus
on leveraging the cross-platform, IDE independence of ant.

I'd recommend that you look into features such as:

1. Exporting JDT projects to ant build files.
2. Ant tasks which can use .classpath files to build eclipse projects
*without* running Eclipse headless, etc.
3. Creation of JDT projects on the basis of ant build files.

Note that similar requirements were discussed at the Eclipse / ant BOF at
EclipseCon in more detail.

I recommend we take further discussion of this off-list or else move it to
the Eclipse platform-ant-dev list, but perhaps others on the ant list will
want to comment on my suggestion that your enhancements should leverage the
IDE independence that ant gives us rather than diluting it.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement - eMeasurement Group

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@pearson.com