ant-user mailing list archives

From "North Alex" <Alex.No...@tapiola.fi>
Subject RE: Antwort: Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere Studio and Ant
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:20:12 GMT
Hi

I think it depends on your environment and what phase the project is going through as to how
useful and how often you need to run them, and of course your process.

We use ANT quite a lot and from within WSAD as a development aid.  You can compile, build
dependency JARs, EJB deploy code, etc from within the tool ... but you have to sit there and
do it (or configure the tool to do it).  We have a few people doing different parts of an
application ... a developer can come in in the morning and run a task to refresh from the
source control system (clearcase in our case), regenerate all that is needed (other people
change their EJB interfaces, add new schemas that require JAXB generation, and change code)
and recompile ... and go get their coffee in the meantime.  It's done the same every time
... no forgetting to compile (or fully recompile) this part or regenerate some other part.

The tasks are split up so that just the item you want can be run (we also have other generations
such as JAXB being peformed from the ANT scripts).  Extra tasks such as some static code checking,
unit test execution, and reports can also easily be run from here.  Then there is a task that
can deploy the EAR to the target environment, which calls upon the other tasks to do it's
job.  For our developers, it's a great way to get things done.

Just another viewpoint on how things can be done.

<= Alex =>