ant-user mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Rob.Ander...@nike.com>
Subject RE: Ant and CVS update
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:38:06 GMT
> Hi,
>
> My apologies if this question has been asked before, I searched the
> archives and couldn't find anything.
>
> I'm using ant to build and deploy web applications.
>
> At the moment when I do a build it checks out all the files from CVS
> into a src dir, I then copy the files to a time stamped build
> directory
> to remove all the CVS related info so that the files can be deployed.

If you use "cvs export" you will not need to remove the CVS related info, as it will be excluded
from the resulting directory structure.

> What I'm hoping is possible is to work out a way of only getting the
> files that have changed and put them into a build directory for
> deployment. So that I'm not having to deploy ALL the files again.

IMHO I think there is value in deploying ALL file, changed or not. This is a critical part
of a baselined release process. In many cases, it is the only way to ensure that the exact
configuration that was deployed to your testing environment is being deployed to your production
environment. Also, it forces people to make changes within defined processes. In other words,
if someone goes out to production and hacks away at live code, their changes are overwritten
with the next deployment. In order for changes to persist, the developer should follow the
process, making the changes first in a dev environment, then checking the changed into version
control. BEWARE: Deploying only changed files can easily lead to environments becoming out
of sync with what you think should be in the environment.

-Rob A