ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <>
Subject RE: Assign new value to an existing property
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:08:50 GMT
>A million thanks to the
> ant-contrib people for producing such useful tasks.
> I've always been kind of confused why most of the
> tasks aren't included in the regular ant
> distribution, I guess its that whole minimalist
> approach and you can always just download these
> tasks.
> ~ Doug Daniels

More interesting quetion is why Ant properties are
immutable. I have tried to find some reasons, but none
of them is fully persuasive.
Well, when I take a look at my build.xml's, 80% of the
properties are directory/file names, which of course
change almost never, a few other properties defining
paths and classpath, which also do not change and a
few other properties for server names/ips. So why
bother for the remaining infinitely small part and
rare cases when property changing is needed.
However, can someone answered clearly why properties
have been designed as immutable?

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: