ant-user mailing list archives

From "S. Alan Ezust" <ez...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: Assign new value to an existing property
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:10:54 GMT
This isn't exactly the same thing, but sometimes when I want to call
a target with a different property value, I do this.

<project name="testargs"
    default="foo" basedir=".">

<property name="basefile" value="index.xml" />

<target name="somethingelse">
    <antcall target="foo">
        <param name="basefile" value="addendum.xml"/>
        </antcall>
</target>

<target name="foo">
   <echo message="The property basefile = ${basefile}" />
</target>
</project>

On April 30, 2004 08:41 am, Daniels, Doug wrote:
> You can try using the ant-contrib(http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/)
> <variable> task:
>
> "The Variable task provides a mutable property to Ant and works much like
> variable assignment in Java. This task is similar to the standard Ant
> Property task, except that THESE PROPERTIES ARE MUTABLE. While this goes
> against the standard Ant use of properties, occasionally it is useful to be
> able to change a property value within the build. In general, use of this
> task is DISCOURAGED, and the standard Ant Property should be used if
> possible. Having said that, in real life I use this a lot."
>
> (http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/variable_task.html).
>
> To use the ant-contrib tasks download the ant-contrib jar, then in your
> build file place this <taskdef> at the top: <taskdef
> resource="net/sf/antcontrib/antcontrib.properties">
>   <classpath>
>     <pathelement location="/usr/share/java/lib/ant-contrib-0.3.jar"/>
>   </classpath>
> </taskdef>
>
> With the location pointing to where you downloaded your jar of course. A
> million thanks to the ant-contrib people for producing such useful tasks.
> I've always been kind of confused why most of the tasks aren't included in
> the regular ant distribution, I guess its that whole minimalist approach
> and you can always just download these tasks.
>
> ~ Doug Daniels

S. Alan Ezust
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://cartan.cas.suffolk.edu/~sae