ant-user mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Rob.Ander...@nike.com>
Subject RE: JDD's views on Ant after n years
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:51:15 GMT
I am actually quite happy with Ant the way it is now. Ant was built to be a compelling replacement
for make, and I think Ant is a great replacement for make. Ant was never meant to become a
scripting language. I think that build files are much easier to manage and maintain than makefiles.
When I started using ant I was already pretty familiar with make and quite comfortable maintaining
and writing makefiles. Had Ant been more complicated when I first started looking at it, I
would have skipped it entirely. Why bother, I already knew make and it's "wrinkles". I think
if Ant had been designed to be another scripting language, it would not have the user base
that it does today and the article by JDD about Ant's origins and his regrets would be insignificant.

-Rob Anderson