ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JDD's views on Ant after n years
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:12:25 GMT
--- Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> Wow... no more replies on this thread?  Or is my
> inbox broken?!  :)

Well, if you insist...

> On Apr 5, 2004, at 6:01 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
[SNIP]
> > ... XML was a very *pragmatic* choice at
> the time.  If it is
> > no longer the best way to do things, then we
> should evolve rather than
> > feel stuck in a rut of angle brackets.  Maven and
> Jelly aren't the
> > next big thing, IMO.  In fact, the creator of
> Jelly ...
> > ... mentions Gravy.  Rake is also a cool
> alternative.  Gravy could be
> > the next step, maybe?  Obviously we're grappling
> with the boundaries
> > between scripting and being declarative.  ...
[SNIP]

Having taken a quick peek at the Ant example on the
Groovy page, while I don't have any particularly
negative feelings about it, I probably wouldn't use
that particular interface over what I already know.
At the same time, I think it would be very cool to
have other interfaces supported, and shouldn't that
basically come down to a different ProjectHelper
implementation?  Maybe Antlibs and UEs would have to
be reworked a little (maybe not and Antlibs can
continue to have the XML format, period).

I would personally like to see a language specifically
geared to Ant... wonder if we could wrangle any design
and/or implementation help from the ANTLR guys.  Ter
has been outspoken against XML in the past so he could
be seen as having an (anti-)interest.  He's busy
working on ANTLR 3 right now, but his spring language
class will be starting up at USF soon; it might make
an interesting project for those guys.

-Matt